Friday, November 6, 2009

That box of eels got me thinking

I've been thinking a lot lately about timing. Not the art of it in a comedic sense, but in terms of the right time. The right time to get the band back together. The right time to take the wash to the laundromat. The right time to start blogging about baseball cards again.

It's that last one that keeps haunting me. And the funny thing is, though I think of it a lot, I can't seem to get words to page on any topic related to baseball cards. This may change; I haven't written anything of consequence in months, maybe even a year. But maybe it's passed, the right time, that is. Maybe the time for writing about baseball cards was years in the past. Maybe it's the right time to do something else.

Back in around 2003 or 2004, I got the idea to make a coffee table book of my collection of souvenir postcard folders. I even went to the special collections room at the Boston Public Library in Copley Square to view the Tichnor Brothers collection of original art and postcards. I was going to write a brief history of souvenir postcard folders as an essay, and slap it in front of the endless color plates of the coffee table book. My interest eventually waned in the project, and I never got it together.

I have a massive collection of souvenir postcard folders; it's one I'm most proud of. Maybe there's still something in there. And when the timing's right...

No comments:

Post a Comment